You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-24 20:32:11

previews for inactive slots

Hi,

currently, when the slots are not playing, they display just the source without plugins. In my case, many slots are based on the same source and it is quite difficult finding the right one, I have to drag every slot to the workbench or do other stunts to see what is what. So it would be great if the inactive slots on the rack would display a still of the actual output including all activated plugins.

You already seem to have the functionality: the preview of the patches shows the real content of the slots.

Last edited by Georg (2021-11-24 20:32:33)

#2 2021-11-25 20:32:54

Re: previews for inactive slots

Hi,

Yep, know what you mean. However that's far more difficult then first meets the eye. In the past the architecture (the way the software was built) would not have supported it, but I'm not so sure now (much has changed over the years) . I'll see if this would be possible now.

#3 2021-12-02 23:33:22

Well... I'm totally side tracked to attempting this as it looks like it may be possible now. It's a medium size refactor, but I've built a lot of more tools since I started the project. There will probably be a few limitations, not sure what they are yet.  First rewiring hacks seem to make sense, but no promises. Will known more in couple of weeks depending on workloads.

#4 2021-12-06 22:37:44

looking sweet! nearly there

#5 2021-12-07 22:45:53

Oh its so nice, wanted this for a long time but couldn't do it earlier.

Released 0.29.0

#6 2021-12-08 18:41:42

Awesome, thanks a lot!

Only things I noticed so far were:
- Audio state plugin preview looks just black (perhaps there could be a default sine wave or something)
- Trails and Dieback plugin lets the preview look much darker than it actually is when playing it.
Anyway, it's a huge leap forward!

#7 2021-12-08 18:58:05

Hi again,

- Source type plugins that don't have a default output :  the only thing I could do to get around it would be to upgrade the plugin API to insist on including a default thumbnail. Not something I'm going to play with any time soon. I'd have to rebuild and change all the plugins. But I'll throw it on the backlog.

- trails and dieback plugin : this one would be very difficult to work around - any plugin that requires some time to build up isn't going to show much on an initial load. Can't easily get around this one. I'm not going to chase it.

cheers

Board footer

Keep posts civil, irrelevant posts will be removed. Please search for answers before posting